Pirates again?

Hier werden am 15. September 2014 Gene Mocsy und Bill Tiller Eure Fragen beantworten
Antworten
axelkothe
Adventure-Treff
Adventure-Treff
Pirates again?

Beitrag von axelkothe »

When I herad about DG I was surprised you are doing another pirate themed adventure game. Is this because you are interested in the era? Or because it proved to be successful (at least when Lucas Arts did it)? Or is this story just something that you came up with during/because of the Ghost Pirates development?

Is there a connection to the Ghost Pirates universe or are these games totally seperated? If they are connected, will players miss out on some references or gags if the don't know GP?
NEU:Mein YouTube-Kanal über Klemmbausteine: SteinreichTV
bill.tiller
Verifizierter Account

Re: Pirates again?

Beitrag von bill.tiller »

Yes! I love the pirate genre and setting. I was luck enough to visit the Caribbean three times as a kid and loved it, and was really amazed and blown away by the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyworld. I read quite a few pirate books as a kid and loved Peter Pan. And then I play MI2, and that was it. i knew what I wanted to eventually do: make a pirate game

So I cant see myself never doing a pirate themed game ever again. I have only done two (CMI and Ghost Pirates). I could easily see myself doing a lot more before I get burned out. The setting is fertile ground for a lot of fun and exciting stories.

Duke was originally just a tech demo, but I liked the character, plot and setting so much I felt like it should be a game. So we didn't plan to make a pirate game at all, it just sort of naturally happened. I think the pirate setting just really excites my imagination as much as the Gothic setting of AVS does. I think of pirates like a summer or tropical version of Halloween, with all the magic, monsters, skeletons and ghosts. I just really dig it. :D

Duke Grabowski does take place in the Ghost Pirates universe, or as we call it the Azurbbean. Jane Starling will actually be an NPC in the game and play an important role. Its not a 'cross over' really, more like spin-off and no one will have had to play Ghost Pirates in order to play Duke. The stories don't intersect.
gmocsy
Verifizierter Account

Beitrag von gmocsy »

One of the first games I really admired was "Death in the Caribbean" for the Apple ][e. Years before I was in the games industry, I went on a cruise to some of the islands and I took tons of reference photos, just hoping someday I could work on a Caribbean game. Bringing Bill's Azurbbean backgrounds to life is like another vacation.
Bakhtosh
Rätselmeister
Rätselmeister

Beitrag von Bakhtosh »

I think this has been asked before elsewhere, but I can't find it.

If Duke takes place in the Ghost Pirates world. Will there be any other characters apart from Jane Starling in the game?
I would like to see Blue Belly again. :D
gmocsy
Verifizierter Account

Beitrag von gmocsy »

Great! Several backers have asked about Blue. Very glad you like him. We were a little worried that adventure gamers would complain if we re-used too many Ghost Pirates characters...but if people like you are interested, we may find a place for him!
Antworten