The Wicker Man

Hier habt ihr Anfang April 2012 die Möglichkeit, dem Designer von Scratches und Asylum nach Herzenslust auszufragen.
Antworten
JackVanian
Rätselmeister
Rätselmeister

The Wicker Man

Beitrag von JackVanian »

Hi Agustin,
obviously, we are both hardcore Wicker Man fans. In fact, I only found out about that movie because you recommended it to me.
Well, I've seen it countless times since then and it became one of my alltime favorites. Just to clarify: I'm not talking about the lousy remake with Nicolas Cage. I'm referring to the original film from 1973 with Edward Woodwarth, Christopher Lee and Britt Ekland.
I would be very interested in finding out what it exactly it is that fascinates you so much about the film. Which ingredients make this film so special and unforgettable from your point of view?
Agustin
Verifizierter Account
Re: The Wicker Man

Beitrag von Agustin »

You watched it after my recommendation? I didn't know that, I'm glad to hear it!

This is a very unique movie in many ways. It blends horror, drama and even music in a strange manner. I really like when the main character is at the mercy of unknown forces, like a tool. Sgt. Howie acts according to his beliefs and principles, and in the end it's precisely those things that lead him to his doom. That's something I really, really like, that is, when everything you took for granted is turned upside down.

Of course, The Wicker Man has an incredible atmosphere and one of the best performances by Christopher Lee. And of course, the horrifying ending. It's the movie that got me into "pastoral horror" - I'm not even sure if that sub-genre exists, but there are similar movies, notably Let's Scare Jessica To Death. Very different story but similar mood.
JackVanian
Rätselmeister
Rätselmeister

Beitrag von JackVanian »

Yeah, I've seen Let's Scare Jessica to Death. In fact, I've seen all the movies you recommended in our interview. Even Shockwaves. ;)
Agustin
Verifizierter Account

Beitrag von Agustin »

How did you like them? Jessica might require an extra viewing to really get some nuances. I found it wholly fascinating.

And I guess Shock Waves is a love/hate affair. Me, I must watch the movie at least twice per year. It has an hypnotic atmosphere!
JackVanian
Rätselmeister
Rätselmeister

Beitrag von JackVanian »

Oh, I really enjoyed Jessica. I wasn't quite sure what was going on and I kept guessing until the end. Definitely a good recommendation. Guess I'll watch it again sooner or later.

As far as Shock Waves is concerned: I know what you mean about the love/hate affair. Personally, I'm rather a hater. ;) I admit that the atmosphere was something special and I loved how the movie built up tension in the beginning, but after a while it just felt boring and weird to me.

However, you recommended another movie that instantly became one of my favorites: House of the Long Shadows. When I heard that this didn't only inspire Scratches, but also featured Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing and Vincent Price I just had to see it. I tried to get a copy from British Amazon and other places, but unfortunately it seems like it's out of print (which is a shame). Fortunately, someone uploaded it on Youtube so I was able to watch it anyhow. What can say? I was blown away. Three legends in a movie with lots of atmoshere and a really good script - what more can you ask for? I especially loved how the movie played with the expectations of the audience and horror cliches. Thanks for telling me about it! :)
Antworten