Ask the Mind behind The Lost Crown

Der Macher von The Lost Crown und DarkFall steht Rede und Antwort.
Antworten
Möwe
Rabenseele
Rabenseele

Ask the Mind behind The Lost Crown

Beitrag von Möwe »

Bild
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Dear playthrougher, this is the place where we will collect our questions concernig The Lost Crown.
Please, post them in english oder schickt sie mir per PN auf deutsch, dann übersetze ich sie.
Es ist, wie es ist, aber es wird, was du draus machst.
Desch
Hobby-Archäologe
Hobby-Archäologe
Re: Ask the Mind behind The Lost Crown

Beitrag von Desch »

Hi Jonathan, i am interested in the gadgets you have to use for ghost-hunting in "The Lost Crown" (digital camera, EMF meter, and so on). Did you use these gadgetry on your excursions? Is the way of use in the game the same as in real life ghost-hunting excursions? :)
There are two games. One is played in life, the other is lived in play.
magoria
Profi-Abenteurer
Profi-Abenteurer

Beitrag von magoria »

What where your historical sources for The Lost Crown? Is there a real story about the 3 anglo-saxon crowns? Anglo-Saxon was, before the time of king Alfred, parted in many little kindoms. East-Anglia was one of them till the danes invaded it and killed king Edmund.

(thanks to Möwe for the translation)
wyrd bið ful aræd - Das Schicksal ist unausweichlich!
k0SH
Zombiepirat
Zombiepirat

Beitrag von k0SH »

Hi Jonathan,

Due to the fact that most of us have to do certain things for a living - can you share a bit about the success of TLC with us?
Was it a "success" at all?
Different situation in the countries where a retail version was released?
Any influence from all of that for the upcoming chapters?
Like release strategy, changes in development of Part 2 and 3 (enginge, team, budget, time, etc.).

Big thanks in advance for your time!!
Keep up the good work!
Mitglied im "Verein zur kulturellen Förderung von Adventure- und storylastigen Computer- und Videospielen e.V." Und Du?
"But these days it seems like adventure games are almost a bit of a lost art form...exist in our dreams, in our memories and in ... Germany." Tim Schafer
Deutsche Adventure Games Gruppe (Facebook)
unwichtig
Rätselmeister
Rätselmeister

Beitrag von unwichtig »

you mentioned legal cases against got game and lace mamba in your latest blog entry. can you share some details?

will the mono-/dialogues be skippable in the next crown games (at least the recurring ones like "nothing ventured...")? :mrgreen:
JackVanian
Rätselmeister
Rätselmeister

Beitrag von JackVanian »

Hi Jonathan, this is Ingmar.

Thanks a lot for taking the time for us! :)

Here is my first question: What are the greatest horror movies of all time from your point of view and please let us know the reasons for each film.

The other question: I have recently watched The British cult film The Wicker Man numerous times and totally fell in love with the movie. What is your opinion of the film and what is your relation to it?
JonathanBoakes
Frischling
Frischling

Beitrag von JonathanBoakes »

Hello Desch,

I have used a lot of ghost-hunting gadgets, like those seen in The Lost Crown. The video camera is exactly the same as the one I own - a small Sony handicam. But, in reality, the IR light is rubbish, so the nite-vision effect is not as good as in TLC!

My favourite gadget is the EMF Meter, as it can add a lot of tension and fear to any ghost-hunt. The screeching, buzzing sound is similar to a Geiger counter, which I also find quite disturbing. The other thng I like, is that you can make your own EMF Meter, with household items. That's something Lucy will be doing a lot of, in The Last Crown. The ghost gadgets are getting old, so she decides to 'customise'. :wink:

In real life - The best EMF moment, came for me, in Duloe Church (Northfield, in TLC), when I was able to follow a moving energy source. It's quite rare to get a moving source, as it's hard to explain away logically. Usually, an energy source is something man-made, like power lines, so does not move, as such. It was quite alarming to find one moving down the aisle of the church, just ahead of me. RPG and supernatural fans might like to think of these energy sources as 'Elementals', not ghosts, but actual 'beings' made of energy. Spooky.

Hi Magoria,

I do find the Anglo Saxons very interesting. My musings were inspired by the short ghost-story, 'A Warning to the Curious', by M.R.James. No direct kings are referenced in the story, but the place names and landscape reveal an old world, which could hide all sorts of treasures, curses and ghosts.

Auldwulf, Pendraed and Ganwulf are all fictional, but based on Kings/rulers from the Anglo-Saxon times in Anglia. King Rædwald springs to mind, as historical inspiration, as he ruled both Norfolk and Suffolk (East Anglia), for a very long time. The famous Sutton Hoo helmet (reproduced in TLC) is thought to belong to Rædwald.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutton_Hoo

When I look into those dark eye sockets, in the British Museum, I can't help shiver, as it seems Rædwald is looking right back at me - furious that his grave (Sutton Hoo) was disturbed and robbed by archaeologists. Spooky stuff.

The largest Anglo Saxon treasure found in England was made only 2 years ago, near the brilliantly named town of 'Burntwood'. It's beautiful to look and amazing to think it was hidden for one and a half thousand years. That means there are still treasures to find! I do like the idea of the landscape being 'powered' or protected by ancient artefacts. Spirits guard and protect the treasures from theft or abuse. It creates a haunted landscape. So, what happens if we remove those items? Do we remove that which protects and powers it? I like to think so.

When I was growing up, the Anglo Saxon Era was called The Dark Ages, with suggestions of unrelenting brutality, war and the paranormal. More recent archaeological studies have revealed that, although much of what we thought was true, there was also successful farming and a very elaborate culture, spreading further into Britain than previously thought. Basically, the Anglo-Saxons are STILL fabulously mysterious. Four miles from Rædwald's grave, (debated), is Rendlesham Forest, thought to have been the centre of Anglo-Saxon life in Anglia. If you search 'Rendlesham Forest' on Google, you may be surprised that the forest is better known for other 'mysterious' reasons.

Hi k0SH, unwichtig

Interesting question. Success?

I took Got Game Entertainment to court, in the USA. Quite scary, but I won. I felt I had to make a stand for my work, otherwise I would not have made any more games. Integrity is very important to me. It was a depressing and miserable experience, which is now over.

But, things don't change - I have never received a copy of the German version of The Lost Crown, nor did I get a royalty statement or single royalty from it. Basically… nothing. I haven't heard from the EU publishers, personally, since I started legal proceedings. I have tried proper legal methods, to seek what I am owed, but publishers are not developers. They are business men, who want to make money. In fact, that is all they want to do.

It's ironic, really, as their bad behaviour changes what gets made. In some cases, new developers have stopped making games because of bad experiences, whereas I have no intention to stop. I like making games too much, to have publishers spoil it for both myself, and the gamer.

Oh, and lastly, I too have a day job. I couldn't afford to make games otherwise. I have green fingers.

Hi Ingmar,

Phew, something less heavy to talk about.

The Wicker Man, eh? It is a weird one. I love it. The scene in which Willow 'dances' for the Sergeant is one of my earliest memories of folk erotica. Sadly, the bum is not that of Britt Ekland, but a body double. But, 'hey ho', as the song says.

As a 'doomed' film, it has grown a cult status to rival any other. There are even stories about the distributor hating the film so much, that they buried the original negatives in the foundations of the M4 Motorway (Christopher Lee even made noise about wanting to 'dig them up'. Bonkers!

But, why is it so memorable and influential? It's certainly not the first British film to explore paganism in small rural communities, human sacrifice and religion. Nor the last.

The Witchfinder General, Blood on Satan's Claw (my favourite) and the recent 'Wake Wood' spring to mind. I recommend them all for folk horror fans. To me the nastier the film, the more honest the landscape and its people seem to be. Cornwall, where I live and work, can be a bit pagan-folk-horror sometimes, with odd stories influencing what gets written into the games. Saxton's 'Missing Cats' are a direct reference to a crime that still continues to this day. No-one knows who, or why, someone is stealing the cats, but I can hazard a guess that some form of misinformed paganism is behind it.

The landscape is still alive with strange acts, which are both disturbing and inspiring. A film like The Wicker Man could be a seen as a warning, to remember that small communities can have their own 'special ways'. That's true to this day.
Darkling Room - http://www.darklingroom.com - Home to the Dark Fall Games and The Lost Crown Trilogy.
JonathanBoakes
Frischling
Frischling

And 'yes', dialogs in game 2 are skippable! :D
Nothing ventured...
Darkling Room - http://www.darklingroom.com - Home to the Dark Fall Games and The Lost Crown Trilogy.
axelkothe
Adventure-Treff
Adventure-Treff

Beitrag von axelkothe »

Hi Jonathan, thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.
JonathanBoakes hat geschrieben: But, things don't change - I have never received a copy of the German version of The Lost Crown, nor did I get a royalty statement or single royalty from it. Basically… nothing. I haven't heard from the EU publishers, personally, since I started legal proceedings. I have tried proper legal methods, to seek what I am owed, but publishers are not developers. They are business men, who want to make money. In fact, that is all they want to do.
This is quite disheartening to hear. As a customer I really liked Lace Mamba (or whatever their name is right now) because they do release a lot of adventure games at reasonable prices. But if they don't treat the independent creators of these games with the respect they deserve... then I don't know if I want to support them anymore by buying their games...

I hope your publishing deal with Iceberg on Dark Fall 3 was more successful...
NEU:Mein YouTube-Kanal über Klemmbausteine: SteinreichTV
TanteTabata
Süßwasserpirat
Süßwasserpirat

Beitrag von TanteTabata »

Thank you for taking your time to answer our questions. It's much appreciated! =D>

I would like to know, if it is more your interest in esoteric that influence the developing of your stories or do you only deal closer with esoteric because it's needed for your games ?
. . .
(ʃƪˆ▿ˆ) . . . ... . .always (point &) click on the bright side of life . .... . . . ƪ(ˆ▽ˆ)ʃ
JonathanBoakes
Frischling
Frischling

Hi TanteTabata,

I've always been interested in the strange, paranormal, supernatural and esoteric. All quite different, in my opinion. I would say the 'paranormal' interests me the most, it has obsessed my creative mind since I can remember. As children we went out of our way to seek ghosts, monsters, aliens and other wonders, to varying success (too much Doctor Who!).

Later, an interest in photography became 'Ghost Photography', which lead onto film, then eventually games. I see games as a way of exploring my interests in the paranormal, whether it be ghosts, Sci-fi, hell dimensions (first three Dark Fall games), or living ghost-towns (like Saxton). I live where Saxton is set, so it is great to experience a 'game world', with real ghost stories, first hand.

I am still writing a film too, which also features the paranormal. Obsessed? Maybe, but I like to think of the paranormal as my muse. The really bizarre thing is, I have yet to see much evidence of the paranormal, myself. Perhaps I make the games to find the truth, one way or another?

Jonathan
magoria
Profi-Abenteurer
Profi-Abenteurer

Beitrag von magoria »

Hi Jonathan,

first I have to say a big THANK YOU for answering my question so detailed.

I'm also very interested in early and late medieval history. Particularly the Anglo Saxons have my interest since I have read Bernard Cornwells, The Saxon Stories. Probably, because parts of their roots are found in today's Germany. But we have a lot of our traditional customs lost. Two years ago I was in Brittany and I've seen the grave of Merlin. A cold shiver ran down my spine.
I think today's world is full of facts and technology and has no places for Fantasy and Dreams. You will give us a little bit back of this things with that kind of Adventures.

I hope you understand what I wrote. My english could be better.
wyrd bið ful aræd - Das Schicksal ist unausweichlich!
k0SH
Zombiepirat
Zombiepirat

Beitrag von k0SH »

Hi Jonathan,

Just a quick "thanks" from my side for your time answering all our questions so detailed!
Highly appreciate that!

And again, keep up the good work!
Mitglied im "Verein zur kulturellen Förderung von Adventure- und storylastigen Computer- und Videospielen e.V." Und Du?
"But these days it seems like adventure games are almost a bit of a lost art form...exist in our dreams, in our memories and in ... Germany." Tim Schafer
Deutsche Adventure Games Gruppe (Facebook)
unwichtig
Rätselmeister
Rätselmeister

Beitrag von unwichtig »

k0SH hat geschrieben:Hi Jonathan,

Just a quick "thanks" from my side for your time answering all our questions so detailed!
Highly appreciate that!

And again, keep up the good work!
ditto
TanteTabata
Süßwasserpirat
Süßwasserpirat

Beitrag von TanteTabata »

JonathanBoakes hat geschrieben:I've always been interested in the strange, paranormal, supernatural and esoteric. ...
I like to think of the paranormal as my muse. ...
Perhaps I make the games to find the truth, one way or another?
Hello Jonathan,

wow – that was a fast reply!

This seems to be a wonderful way for all of us and (thinking of the thousands of possibilities on a very large
„playground“) it sounds like there will be a lot more interesting storys to be developed by you!
So I really like it Bild

looking forward to see more of you,

Tabata

btw. - Your landscapes are incredible! Bild
. . .
(ʃƪˆ▿ˆ) . . . ... . .always (point &) click on the bright side of life . .... . . . ƪ(ˆ▽ˆ)ʃ
Antworten