Starting

Hier werden am 15. September 2014 Gene Mocsy und Bill Tiller Eure Fragen beantworten
Antworten
neon
Adventure-Treff
Adventure-Treff
Starting

Beitrag von neon »

Seems like Bill and Gene are already there, so if you want, start asking questions.
"Ich habe mich so gefühlt, wie Sie sich fühlen würden, wenn sie auf einer Rakete sitzen, die aus zwei Millionen Einzelteilen besteht - die alle von Firmen stammen, die bei der Regierungsausschreibung das niedrigste Angebot abgegeben haben"

- John Glenn nach der ersten Erdumrundung 1962
Abel
Rätselmeister
Rätselmeister

Re: Starting

Beitrag von Abel »

Hm I guess I will just use this thread then. ;)

Hey Bill, nice of you to be here! :)

You worked for Lucas Arts and later made your own games. What are the bigger challenges you see in being independent compared to your earlier career and what are the advatages?

If you had more money would you think DG could be a much bigger game or are you happy with the smaller scale and it just fits for this specific game?

Do you already know who will be responsible for the soundtrack? Are you considering to work with Pedro Camacho again? (I just happened to get to know him a little better via the Star Citizen community, he seems to be a very nice guy and is equally talented)
bill.tiller
Verifizierter Account

Beitrag von bill.tiller »

Thanks! Glad to be here.

First at Lucas I had a lot of support and infrastructure that made development go smoothly. But it was a big company and so a lot of business and politics got in the way of creativity sometimes. With a smaller group there doesn't seem to be as much and a smaller team allows team members to contribute directly to the game development a lot more.

I like the small size. Seems much more manageable and easy to wrap my mind around. If I had more money I don't think I'd make a bigger game but a series of smaller games. Duke is a nice, simple, self contained short story, but the character could be explored more, for sure.

Pedro is great. We hope we can work with him. But we are keeping the Kickstarter goal as low as possible, so new music is currently a reach goal.

-Bill
axelkothe
Adventure-Treff
Adventure-Treff

Beitrag von axelkothe »

bill.tiller hat geschrieben:Pedro is great. We hope we can work with him. But we are keeping the Kickstarter goal as low as possible, so new music is currently a reach goal.
Does this mean you are currently planning on reusing some music from your older games (Ghost Pirates probably, since both have a common theme)
NEU:Mein YouTube-Kanal über Klemmbausteine: SteinreichTV
gmocsy
Verifizierter Account

Beitrag von gmocsy »

Too soon to say. We'll try to do original music, definitely. It just depends on our final budget. Having the option to reuse Ghost Pirates music is one way we can keep our Kickstarter goal low.

We won't be making any official music decisions until next year. I'll just repeat what Bill said, that Pedro is great, and I hope to work with him again. (He was kind enough to score the game I wrote & designed for Daedalic, 1954: Alcatraz.)
Bakhtosh
Rätselmeister
Rätselmeister

Beitrag von Bakhtosh »

Can you already say something about the gameplay?

Will there be only the very classic adventure dialogue, object on hotspot and object on object puzzles?
Or do you plan to implement more creative puzzles like e.g. the mime puzzle or the barrel timing puzzle in Ghost Pirates. I really love creative puzzles. Puzzle concepts you haven't seen like a dozen times before but can still be solved by thinking a bit about the situation.
Do you plan to add different solutions on a small scale. Like e.g. Duke solve a puzzle in a brute way when he have already learned that he can do it differently. But in doing so making it harder later on to bypass certain obstacles? I would like to see something like that.

Is it even possible to be that creative with Unity + Adventure Creator?
bill.tiller
Verifizierter Account

Beitrag von bill.tiller »

We have some new game play styles planned that emulate what it might be like to be Duke, a dim witted, insecure but frighteningly strong man who just wants to be respected by his crew. We have to work out the technical challenges to make sure these new types of puzzles are fun, of course. But that is our goal. Also this game is a bit of an homage to The Secret of Monkey Island (with an original story) so I want to do a few riffs/ spoofs of a few of the classic puzzles in that game. I don't want to spoil it for you so I won't go into detail. But I agree with you, I like varied game play styles and new puzzles ideas, even if there is a risk it might not be to everyone's liking. I think it's important to take some creative risks here and there with the game play.
Bakhtosh
Rätselmeister
Rätselmeister

Beitrag von Bakhtosh »

bill.tiller hat geschrieben:Also this game is a bit of an homage to The Secret of Monkey Island (with an original story) so I want to do a few riffs/ spoofs of a few of the classic puzzles in that game.
Sounds great! :)
As long as it won't be a variation of the insult duel puzzle. It was great back in Monkey I, but I've seen variations of it way too often since then. ;)
Bakhtosh
Rätselmeister
Rätselmeister

Beitrag von Bakhtosh »

Are you planning to implement real easter eggs? Things you can only see if you do something in a certain order of play or if you click at an object that doesn't have a hotspot or something like that (so not something you just have to recognize as easter). Would be great to know that something like that exits and to try to hunt it down. Or to "know" that it exits but never find it (because it doesn't exits - like the gas in Maniac Mansion). I guess adding such things makes a lot of work though...

Back in the days adventure games had a lot of hotspots that weren't necessary. Some were plain red herrings. Some could be used in a certain way just for fun or to provide some info that adds to the athmosphere of the game. Today you often only have the necessary hotspots because of the localization/voice over budget. What's your take with Duke regarding this aspect. Quite some of these hotspots, a couple, only a few?
gmocsy
Verifizierter Account

Beitrag von gmocsy »

We're pretty generous with our hotspots. Judging from the current design and our previous games, I'd expect 8-12 per location. Less than that makes a place feel empty. Too many gets tedious.

Regarding Easter eggs, as long as it doesn't require new art or animation, that's definitely possible. I know in Ghost Pirates, we had a very hard-to-find link to a secret website. I'm not sure anyone ever found it...

I love writing dialog, so I'm very happy we're doing three interactions per hotspot. It gives me lots of chances to give hints to the players, explain the island, and help you get to know Duke.
Antworten